more on veronica... and some food

Here i am, about 4 hours into Veronica (including preparation of a great lemon risotto - check out my recipe below!), and as i expected it's been super satisfying already. I have almost 30cm (about 11 inches)so I am over a third of the way through. The use of 10mm instead of 9mm has given me an extra 5cm (2 inches) or so in width. This is ok, but i am a bit worried that i'll run out of the veronica yarn (this was the more expensive at about $6 for a ball of 100grams which is reasonable, but i don't want to buy whole new ball just for a couple of metres) so I think I'll cut the yarn for the handles and tassles now and size the bag according to how much yarn i have.

I made my best risotto ever tonight - lemon and pea flavoured - here's how:

Fry 1 small onion (or some leek)with 2 cloves of garlic in 2 tablespoons of olive oil until soft, but not brown.
Add 2 cups of aborio rice, and stir until rice is coated with oil.
The traditional rule of risotto is to stir all the time, but I prefer to shake and swirl the pan instead, stirring can damage the rice and make the risotto gluggy.
Add 1 cup (250ml) of white wine, swirl until absorbed.
Now I start to add 2 litres of chicken stock, but just a soup ladle full at a time.
Swirl the pan after each addition, adding more stock only once previous is all absorbed. (I keep the stock simmering in a pan next to the risotto)
When there is about 2 ladles of soup left to add, i like to throw in some vegies - tonight I added about 1 cup of frozen peas.
After adding the last of the stock stir through some creme fraiche or cream, some butter, some parmesan cheese and the zest of a lemon.
Taa daa ready mmmmmm
hehe
I love risotto because it is so impressive, but pretty easy and all you need to have in the house to make it is rice and stock, then you can just add whatever flavours you like =)
Bon appetit!

besos

Comments